12/9/08

ON RADIO

RADIO

The RADIO format has been flexing its muscles in my subconscious of late.

I'm still a fan of the format - I interact with music in many ways - about a 50 / 50 split between airwaves and archives. But I find that listening to traditional radio is a real activity - kind of like unwrapping a new Lp - an experience that digital connections sometimes lack.

I just HAD to create FADE TO STATIC: Listening to the Radio and I bet these other “transmission artists” fell under the same impulse.

Junior and Lil’ Dave offer the recordbreakin series on WKDU if you’re on the go in the whip in Philly or anytime on their insane archives of shows. Their Mizell Brothers tribute was an eye opener - a favorite at the Savage Severe offices.


My man HANDCANCEL got me hip to Musiq Soulchild’s next grip of new now, an album called ONMYRADIO.


EXILE

Such a hard name for a very present producer. The honesty in his bio is refreshing.
This instramentalist unleashed a recent body of work entitled: RADIO

It was composed entirely from radio samples heard on his local radiowaves but sounds like neck cracking tropicalia hip-hop.

Exile creates sample source music / mental color fields (see Prefuse 73). It reminds me of a nice afternoon on a patio. Sun. Dope.
How could such rich music come from the kludgy radio?

The answer speaks to broadcast’s power.


Radio is mysterious - appropriate then for Madlib to have served up the cryptic title for his album WLIB AM KING OF THE WIGFLIP not long ago - sounds in the key of creepy AM radio.



I love the long pause and the record getting flipped on this youtube offering.

RAP ATTACK & MR MAGIC are back as heard on WLIB in NY - the compiler, Will C. offered the very fun mash of on-air tapes, now in stores as Down the Dial. You can find clips over here thru the turnstyle - be sure to peep the show intro...

Thats all for now - I'm off into the ether

1 comment:

bitsy said...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/transistor_radios/sets/72157603582052998/

*++SOLID++*