1/8/10

FAMILY


While in LA last weekend I was trying to spend a few free hours in a productive hardcore window-shopping spree. I almost forgot to note the magical place I found by accident. I had planned to visit Turntable Lab LA and get a far-out, West Coast perspective on the music style jugger but, BUGGER!...the shop was closed for over an hour due to some business-tech issue. Instead I wandered in the Fairfax zone and checked out some other spots: a cool vintage store, an elderly persons vintage store, RCVA, a dark pizza joint that had 4 coolers of beers and beverages under padlock, and an artist bookstore called FAMILY.
Funny, like TTL and the 'Za spot they were having an "anti bad day" with a colorful non-storefront sign and no business cards. You don't need that stuff at this place. Lots of rare, one off, unique hard and soft cover books here. A few records and T-shirts. If there was seating in the store it would be all over. They even hold readings and events in their gallery.

This experience was kind of like when I went to a theater to see The Blair Witch Project, which had sold out. Instead I, like many others, had discovered Run Lola Run.

1 comment:

bitsy said...

I imagine The Cinefamily (http://cinefamily.org/) down the street has chairs, though you probably wouldn't want to be sitting during Edan's performance.