10/22/08

MELVIN VAN PEEBLES

HE IS MY IDOL

I tried to go to some Stonesthrow party tonite (along with 300 other New Yorkers) hosted by Melvin Van Peebles. I also wanted to see DAM FUNK. Ive seen most of the crew already. Always worth it. But MVP! In the place?

Melvin made films as a reaction. He had to..he just HAD to do it.
And he did his thing alright.
He was a true renaissance man.
SCREEN STAGE RECORDINGS TV the works.
Even became a hip-hop sample-source legend.

If you haven't seen the excellent documentary, How to Eat Your Watermelon in the Company of White People and Enjoy It, you better.

Melvin started making films in France - not the US. Hollywood wasn't ready.



He later mad Sweet Sweetbacks Bad ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS song. I remember seeing that in college. It convinced me that I wanted to study film (what an dumb move that was).

Later Melvin ran end of news commentary for TV.



Add philosopher to that list.

No comments: