5/27/09

RIP - FOREST TERRY JR



Not long ago, while on assignment in SF I stopped into the always choice record shop Groove Merchant and what should I find hanging on the wall as soon as I step into the place? An original poster for Forest Terry's 'FOREST POWER'. I was shocked to find this piece of next wave funk history just hangin' on the wall - greeting all into this rare groove mecca.



If you peep that video - you can tell how much charisma and flare Terry Jr offers the world. I thought his story would make a great short video documentary. The amazing DJ PJ GRAY had already held an interview with the man on the Galactic Fractures radio show. Forest discussed his prolific career, he revealed his active and driven musical history, talked about his funk groups and shared old and new work.

Forest was the inventor and patent holder of the Keyytar (and thats a double Y for double fly) and just think of where funk boogie and hustle soul would be with out it!






I immediately called my friend Claude Money - another DJ mindbender, another familiar with Terry's story. I was jazzed because I really wanted to shoot a video short on this true funkateer.


Sadly I would learn in my phonecall with Claude that Forest had passed away in this first half of the year. I was really sad, not because I didn't get my story, but because the world was largely still unfamiliar with this man.

GET FAMILIAR!



Check out the Galactic Fractures site or PJ's new jump off for singles by Forest Terry Jr. If you like that video...you'll wanna...

PEACE

No comments: