6/26/09

THE NIGHT NYC LISTENED TO MICHAEL JACKSON




Where were you when Michael passed away?

I was headed to the New Museum for a performance by LEWIS FOREVER

The performance was a surprise treat by this vibrant family of 4 (not 5) who create and involve. Their interactive presentation forced a tour out of their shell, required crafting, spiritual foundation, imagination, dance, poetry, even infused vodka.

With a nice evening on my hands following the show I wandered around the Village making my way back to Brooklyn. The loss was more palpable now, with a tribute soundtrack from different radio stations in cars and stores playing Jackson's music all night. Even construction workers were bumping it on the street. Word spread SO fast in this digital age but it mostly seemed word of mouth as one walked along and overheard - people asking and calling out..." They took my Michael...They took my Michael...What am I going to do!!!!!!"

Say what you will about this magnetic icon lightning rod, he was talented and cared about people around the world. I remember having both the Michael pins and the Prince pins when I was a kid and of course staying up to see the moonwalk on the Grammy's.

No comments: